I received an email yesterday from a woman who was in one of my ebook and article writing classes last summer. I had not heard from her since the class ended, which was in July of 2007. She told me that she had been writing articles regularly and had even written an outline for her ebook. Her biggest concern was that she did not have a list and was not making any money. Before emailing her back, I did some research to see what she had been doing.
I Googled her name, using two different variations, and found almost nothing. When I did find her name connected to a blog, it was related to a topic that was not her field of expertise. This lady has written more than 100 articles in the past year, yet she is virtually invisible on the internet!
After doing even more digging on the web, I realized that her story was not unique. She had failed to make a name for herself and position herself as an expert. Do not let this happen to you. Here are some suggestions I have made to her that will also work for you.
- Choose a niche market that will be your main focus. Even if you have one or two smaller niches, devote the majority of your time and effort on your area of expertise.
- Write and submit articles regularly in your niche.
- Use the same name for everything you write in that niche. If your name has a common spelling, like mine does, add a middle name to distinuish yourself from others.
- Start a blog. Use a domain name that brands you and includes one or two of your keywords.
- Read and comment on other blogs that deal with your topic. This will get your name out there and help others to find you and your writing.
- Work with a mentor to help you stay focused on your goals.
- Stay with your niche for at least one year, and keep track of your progress.
- Be clear about who your target audience is and write directly to them.
- Don’t write academically; you will lose many people with writing that is over their heads.
- Develop your USP (unique selling proposition). What is it that sets you apart from others in your niche?
These are some things to think about as you build a business online with your writing. What are you doing to insure your success a year from now?