As I prepare food for the holidays I am reminded how much a good recipe has in common with a good ebook. Both take just the right amount of this and that or else the final product will not taste as well as it could have. By making sure that you are putting all of the right ingredients into your writing, you can make sure that the final result is delicious and enticing.
- Decide what you are writing about before you begin. Just like with a dish you are preparing, you must know what you are making or it will be a big mess! If you are making pumpkin pie, you won’t need any onions. If you are writing an ebook about how to relate to difficult people, you probably won’t include information on bicycle racing.
- Make an outline soyou know what steps to take and what order to take them in. Your outline is like your recipe. You look at it before you begin cooking, while you are cooking, and when your dish is just about complete. Do the same thing with your ebook’s outline.
- Keep track of which chapter you are working on. Just as you must stir the soup so it won’t burn, you must stay focused on where you are in your writing so that your reader won’t get confused.
- Let other people read parts of what you write. A good cook always gives her guests a taste of what is coming. Share your work with friends and colleagues who will give you constructive feedback.
- When your meal is ready to be served you announce it to everyone. Do the same with your ebook. When it is completed tell everyone you know to build the excitement.